Christ Church is an historic parish with a modern outlook. We were established as Queen Caroline Parish by the Maryland legislature in 1727. The name Christ Church was first used when our historic “Old Brick” building was consecrated as Christ Church in 1811. It is still used for small services and other events throughout the year. Our current church building, "New Brick", was consecrated in 1993.
At our worship, people of many backgrounds all gather to praise God as one body in Christ, and to embrace each other in God’s love. We are first, of course, a Christ-centered community, although a strong and proudly diverse congregation that celebrates that diversity.
We are located in the “New Town” of Columbia, Maryland, a town which celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2017. Even though Columbia is 50 years old, it is still developing - always in flux, always in need of support. Christ Church recognizes that the prosperity and great features of our community are not shared by all of our residents, and are well aware that even within our own town there is poverty and there is brokenness. Part of our calling to ministry is serving those most in need.
We normally celebrate two Sunday Eucharist services, one at 8:00a.m. and one at 10:30a.m. The early Eucharist is a spoken service, without music. The late Eucharist is generally sung, always with music and our Choir. Child care and nursery care is provided every Sunday for attendees. In between services, we have a host of Formation gatherings for all ages.
Our main property of approximately 9 acres was deeded to the Parish in 1738. There are three buildings on the property, Old Brick, New Brick, and the Parish Hall, the third of which was constructed in 1950 and contains, offices, meeting rooms, and a kitchen. The Parish property also contains an open field which is presently used for overflow parking when large events are held. There is also a cemetery dating from the 19th century between Old Brick and New Brick. In addition to this cemetery the Church also maintains, but does not own, the Dorsey cemetery, about a mile from the Church. This cemetary contains the graves of descendants of founders of Queen Caroline Parish. The Church also owns a silver flagon, chalice and paten, which were purchased by the Parish in 1747 and which are still used for Communion. We also have a Bible, which was given as a wedding gift to our first Rector, James Macgill, in 1738.
Parishioners are very generous in the giving of their time, talent, and treasure. Members actively participate in both Inreach and Outreach activities such as the Leola Dorsey Community Resource Center; DreamBuilders, which assists in disaster relief projects nation-wide; visitation and support to a state mental health facility; and the Children of Uganda project which provides funding to a rural community in Uganda. These activities only comprise a fraction of the Outreach programs that Christ Episcopal Church is a part of. Many parishioners give freely of their time, volunteering for parish commissions, our music ministry, various youth activities within the church and in the community, and special work projects on the church grounds. Additionally, members provide lay support to church services, and to the parish at-large. The effective stewardship effort by the congregation has resulted in constant and enriching spiritual growth, a feeling of togetherness and generosity, and a sense of accomplishment - both individually and collectively.
FEEL FREE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR PARISH BY VIEWING THE MENU OF MINISTRIES AND PROGRAMS AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE.
AND IF YOU ARE NEW TO CHRIST CHURCH AND THINKING OF COMING TO A SUNDAY SERVICE, PLEASE DO! IN THE MEANTIME, TAKE A LOOK AROUND OUR INFORMATIVE WEBSITE, AND SIGN UP AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO RECEIVE OUR WEEKLY AND MONTHLY NEWSLETTERS, BOTH OF WHICH WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF OUR VIBRANT PARISH LIFE.